Head Viticulturist Ben Kantsler is responsible for luxury sparkling wine producer Nyetimber’s 11 vineyards, which span across the counties of West Sussex, Kent and Hampshire. Ben oversees more than 800 acres of estate owned vineyards with more than 1.5 million vines planted. After working in vineyards across the globe, Ben joined Nyetimber in 2015 and will be sharing his story and views on viticulture in the UK.
Ben commented: “I am very pleased to be invited to speak at the inaugural Vineyard & Winery show. In just five years in the UK, I have seen huge changes across the industry and as a whole it is just getting better and better. It is a privilege to reflect on these changes with colleagues, friends and peers and I look forward to passing on my experiences on what will be a great day.”
Get your free ticket to the show
The Vineyard & Winery show will be an unmissable event for anyone working in viticulture and wine production in the UK. The new ‘expo’ will take place on 24 November 2021 at the Kent County Showground. Organised by Vineyard magazine and supported by WineGB, it will be an invaluable opportunity for all viticulturalists, winemakers, suppliers and the trade to come together. There will be a packed programme including technical talks from WineGB, tastings of the UK’s top wines, lots of machinery and equipment to see – as well as a long over due chance to network with peers.
Who should attend?
- Viticulturists and vineyards owners
- Viticulture suppliers (vines, trellising)
- Packaging suppliers (bottles, labels, corks, cases)
- Vineyard machinery and equipment suppliers
- Winery machinery/equipment suppliers
- Winemaking sundries and supplies (yeasts, nutrients, cleaning products)
- Winery services (contract winemaking, contract bottling)
- Business services (marketing/PR, legal, insurance)
- Labour providers
- Retail, wholesale or wine trade
- Soil and plant health companies
- Students and educational organisations
- New entrants to the sector
In affiliation with WineGB, expert speakers will cover topics such as viticulture, winemaking and marketing. There will also be a dedicated session aimed at new entrants to the industry.
- Planting a vineyard
Dr Alistair Nesbitt will look at the future climatic conditions for grape growing in the UK, Mitchel Fowler will discuss the financing options for a wine growing business, along with additional speakers offering practical advice for vineyard projects.
- Malolactic fermentation – when, where and how
Emma Rice, winemaker Hattingley Valley Wines Ltd, Nick Lane, winemaker at Defined Wine and consultant winemaker David Cowderoy will share their wisdom and experiences for achieving MLF in still and sparkling wines.
- Enhancing your tourism offer
Julia Trustram Eve, WineGB Head of Marketing, along with experts in this field, will provide tips for making sure your venue meets the needs of the visitor – with wine tourism becoming an increasingly popular experience.
- High achievers: yield and quality
Matt Strugnell, Vineyard Manager at Ridgeview Wine Estate will lead the discussion on how to achieve both good yields and quality in commercial viticulture.
The show sponsors
Sarah Calcutt, Vineyard & Winery Show Director commented: “We are so proud, and honoured, to have the support of some of the most prominent businesses in the sector including CLM, Bruni Erben, Hutchinsons, Vitifruit and Royston labels. Harvest Green Development will be sponsoring all the show hospitality and Ferovinum will be the sponsors of the WineGB seminars.”
The wide-open space at the Kent County Showground can accommodate even the largest machinery, as well as provide flexibility for meetings. Over 70% of the stands are already booked with a wide range of companies keen to network and discuss solutions. As there is nothing better than seeing vineyard equipment first-hand N.P. Seymour and S.J. Barnes are planning to bring a massive Pellenc machine harvester, the new Fendt tractors and a Wagner vine planter! If you want to understand the intricacies of crossflow filter, then visit the BevTech stand.
Interested in exhibiting?
Details on how to book an exhibitor place can be found on www.vinyardshow.com or call Sarah Calcutt on 07827 642396, or Jamie McGrorty on 01303 233883. To register your place to attend the show and to purchase tickets for the tutored wine tasting (available via Eventbrite) go to www.vineyardshow.com
Don’t miss out
- Network with the key players in the UK wine industry
- Meet with industry experts
- Learn the cutting-edge technology and see demonstrations of the latest machinery
- Take part in the Matthew Jukes tutored wine tasting, the world-renowned wine writer and columnist Matthew Jukes will present 6 still and sparkling wines. Tickets are £20 and the proceeds are donated to the Drinks Trust charity. (Numbers are limited to 120 – so book early!)
- Visit the Wine Hub and taste some the UK’s best wines – up to 100 different wines available to try on the day
- Attend the WineGB seminars – Expert speakers will cover viticulture, winemaking and marketing topics – aimed at new entrants to the industry as well as those already established
- Join some of the biggest names in the industry such as CLM, Hutchinsons, Vitifruit, Bruni Erben, Royston labels – and many more